POST: Teacher of Science
RESPONSIBLE TO: The Principal, under the day-to-day management and leadership of the Faculty Leader
GRADE: MPS 1-6 (With TLR for a suitable candidate)
KEY RELATIONSHIPS: Academy Leadership Team; relevant teaching and associate staff; LA representatives; partner professionals; parents; local community; other Oasis Academies and Oasis Community Learning central staff.
LOCATION: Oasis Academy Oldham, Hollins Road, Oldham, OL8 4JZ
WORKING PATTERN: Full-time and as described in the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document
DISCLOSURE LEVEL: Enhanced
JOB PURPOSE: To ensure high quality curriculum provision and effective
teaching and learning within the curriculum area and to carry out the professional duties of a qualified teacher in accordance with the current DCFS Teachers’ Pay and Conditions document
- Plan work in accordance with the learning zone/curriculum area programmes of study and so that it addresses the personalised learning needs of every student and in line with the Learning Gateways the Academy promotes
- Liaise with relevant colleagues on the planning of units of work for collaborative delivery
- Work in collaboration with associate staff attached to any teaching group
- Take account of students’ prior levels of learning and achievement and use them to set targets for future improvements
- Set work for students absent from school for health or disciplinary reasons
- Maintain positive relationships by adherence to the advice given to staff in the Positive Behaviour Management Policy
- Set high expectations for students’ behaviour by establishing a purposeful working atmosphere in accordance with the Behaviour for Learning strategies.
- Provide students with the opportunities to develop the skills required in order to learn
- Listen to the views of students about their preferred methods and styles of learning
- Enable students to use their preferred methods and styles of learning where appropriate
- Set appropriate and demanding expectations for students’ learning, motivation, and presentation of work.
B. Assessment, recording and reporting
- Maintain notes and plans of lessons undertaken and records of students’ work in line with the Academy’s Teaching and Learning policy.
- Mark, monitor and return work within a reasonable and agreed time span, as determined by the Academy or learning zone, providing constructive oral and written feedback and clear targets for future learning as appropriate.
- Complete student records of achievement in line with policy and as specified in the published calendar.
- Attend the appropriate Parents’ Evenings to keep parents informed about the progress of their child.
- Be familiar with the code of practice for identification and assessment for Special Educational Needs and keep appropriate records and personalised learning plans.
C. Care and guidance
- Undertake responsibility for a tutor group or for any other arrangement for the care and guidance of students as is required by the Academy, including tutor, student, interviews and coaching and mentoring
- Be the first point of contact for parents
- Monitor (and set targets for) the social, personal, academic and vocational progress of individuals in their designated group
- Be prepared to undertake responsibility as required for the delivery of the PSHCE programme
- Promote good attendance and monitor in accordance with the Academy’s attendance policy.
D. Professional standards
- Support the ethos, vision, principles and values of the Academy
- Treat colleagues, students and all members of the community, with respect and consideration
- Treat all students fairly, consistently and without prejudice
- Set a good example to students in terms of appropriate dress, standards of punctuality and attendance.
- Support the aims of the Academy through attendance at and participation in events such as open evenings, option evenings and the like.(as appropriate to responsibilities).
- Support the ethos of the Academy by upholding the code of conduct, uniform rules, etc
- Take responsibility for own professional development and participate in arrangements as adopted by the Academy for the assessment of his/her performance and that of other teachers
- Reflect on own practice as well as the practices of the Academy with the aim of improving all that we do and achieving excellence
- Read and adhere to the various policies of the Academy and implement Academy improvement plans
- Participate in the development and management of the Academy by attending various team and staff meetings
- Undertake duties as prescribed within the Academy’s policies
- Ensure that all deadlines are met as published in the school calendar
- Undertake professional duties that may be reasonably assigned to them by the principal
- Be proactive and take responsibility for matters relating to health and safety
- Promote lifelong learning and promote enrichment and extension activities as part of the Academy’s community hub
- Knowledge and understanding
- A clear and well thought out understanding of current educational issues, theory and practice
- Have a detailed knowledge of the relevant aspects of the National Curriculum and other statutory requirements
- Have a secure knowledge and understanding of their specialised subject(s) equating to degree level, including the subject knowledge.
- Understand progression in their specialised subject(s).
- Cope securely with subject-related questions which students raise and know about students’ common misconceptions and mistakes as related to their specialised subject.
- Planning and setting expectations
- Identify clear teaching and learning objectives, content, lesson structure and sequences appropriate to the subject matter and the subject being taught.
- Set appropriate and demanding expectations for students learning and motivation. Set clear targets for students learning building on prior attainment.
- Identify students who have Special Educational Needs, and speak English as a second language and know where to get help in order to give positive and targeted support. Implement and keep records on personalised learning needs.
- Teaching and managing students’ learning
- Ensure effective teaching of whole classroom, groups and individuals so that learning objectives are met, momentum, pace and challenge are maintained and the best use is made of learning time.
- Use teaching methods which keep students engaged, including stimulating students’ intellectual curiosity, effective questioning and response, with clear presentation and good use of resources.
- Set high expectation for students’ behaviour establishing a good standard of discipline through well focused teaching and through positive and productive relationships.
- Assessment and evaluation
- Assess how well learning objectives have been achieved and use this assessment to establish future learning objectives.
- Mark and monitor students’ classwork and homework providing constructive oral and written feedback, setting targets for students; progress.
- When applicable, understand the demands expected of students in relation to Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4 courses as well as post 16.
- Student achievement
- Secure progress towards student targets. Reward achievement using the guidance from the Academy
- Relationships with parents and the wider community
- Know how to prepare and present informative reports to parents.
- Recognise that learning takes place outside the Academy context and provide opportunities to develop students’ understanding by relating their understanding to real and work related examples.
- Understanding the need to liaise with partner professionals responsible for students’ welfare, care and guidance.
- Managing own performance and professional development
- Understand the need to take responsibility for their own professional development and keep up to date with research and developments in pedagogy and in the subjects that they teach
- Understand the professional responsibilities in relation the Academy policies and practices.
- Set a good example to the students in their presentation and in their personal conduct
- Evaluate their own teaching critically and use this to improve their effectiveness.
- Managing and developing staff and other adults
- Establish effective working relationships with professional colleagues including, where applicable, associate staff and colleagues from the Oasis learning Community Family
- Managing resources
- Select and make good use of resources
N. Safeguarding Children
- Oasis Community Learning is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. We expect all staff to share this commitment and to undergo appropriate checks, including enhanced DBS checks.
O. Other Duties
- The post holder will be subject to performance objectives agreed annually.
- The person undertaking this role is expected to work within the policies, ethos and aims of the Academy and to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Principal.
- To take on any whole school initiative or responsibility that the Principal may direct.
- All teachers take an active role in the Academy’s care and guidance of students and may be expected to fulfil the role of form tutor or similar role as determined by the Academy.
- All teachers actively support and contribute, as required, to the Academy’s programme for Initial Teacher education trainees.
The above responsibilities are subject to the general duties and responsibilities contained in the Statement of Conditions of Employment.
The duties of this post may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the post or level of responsibility entailed
Oasis Academies exists to provide a rich and balanced educational environment which caters for the whole person - academically, vocationally, socially, morally, spiritually, physically, emotionally and environmentally. Our task is to serve our students as well as to provide a learning hub for the entire community. In this way we will raise aspirations, unlock potential and work to achieve excellence through encouraging a ‘can do’ culture which nurtures confident and competent people.
Experience, Skills and knowledge