- To carry out professional duties and to have responsibility for an assigned class.
- To be responsible for the day-to-day learning, progress and management of the class and the safety and welfare of the pupils, during on-site and off-site activities.
- To promote the aims and objectives of the academy and maintain its philosophy of education.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To create and manage a caring, supportive, purposeful and stimulating environment, which is conducive to children’s learning.
- To plan and prepare high quality lessons in order to deliver the curriculum and bespoke academy curriculum, ensuring breadth and balance in all subjects.
- To plan and deliver a creative, responsive and appropriate curriculum for the profile of learners in your class.
- To identify clear teaching objectives and learning outcomes, with appropriate challenge and high expectations.
- To rigorously develop basic skills in Language and Mathematics, ensuring rapid progress is made in these areas.
- To maintain good order through strong routines and discipline among the pupils, safeguarding their health and safety.
- To organise and manage groups or individual pupils ensuring differentiation of learning meets the needs of all children at all times.
- To plan opportunities to develop the social, emotional and cultural aspects of children’s learning.
- To support inwardly mobile pupils through baseline assessment, knowledge of children records and appropriate pastoral and teaching support.
- To maintain a regular system of rigorous monitoring, assessment, record keeping and reporting of children’s progress ensuring validity and reliability.
- To prepare appropriate records for the transfer of pupils.
- To ensure effective use of support staff within the classroom, including parent helpers.
- To participate in professional learning meetings as required.
- Contribute to the development and co-ordination of a particular area of the curriculum.
- To be part of a whole academy team, actively involved in decision-making on the preparation and development of policies and programmes of study, teaching materials, resources, methods of teaching and pastoral arrangements.
- To ensure that academy policies are reflected in daily practice.
- To communicate and consult with parents over all aspects of their children’s education – academic, social and emotional.
- To liaise with outside agencies when appropriate e.g. Educational Psychologist.
- To meet individual needs of all groups of pupils.
- To continue professional development, maintaining a portfolio of training undertaken.
- To meet with parents and appropriate agencies, to contribute positively to the education of the children concerned.
- To support the Principal and Head of Primary Phase in promoting the ethos of the academy.
- To promote the welfare of children and to support the academy in safeguarding children though relevant policies and procedures.
- To promote equality as an integral part of the role and to treat everyone with fairness and dignity.
- To recognise health and safety is a responsibility of every employee, to take reasonable care of self and others and to comply with the Academy’s Health and Safety policy and any academy-specific procedures / rules that apply to this role.
- The post holder will be subject to performance objectives agreed annually.
- The post holder is expected to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Principal.
- To take on any whole school initiative or responsibility that the Principal may direct.
- The duties of this post may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the post or level of responsibility entailed.
Safeguarding children and young people
Oasis is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. We expect all staff to share this commitment and to undergo appropriate checks, including an enhanced DBS check.
This post is covered by Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent spoken English is an essential requirement for this role.